The International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD) is looking to hire a talented, passionate and motivated Communications Consultant to lead on the development and delivery of a communications strategy for the DIGITAX programme.
DIGITAX is a three-year research programme funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. With the rapid expansion of mobile money and other digital financial services (DFS), as well as the increased relevance of digital IDs across Africa and other lower-income countries, the DIGITAX programme aims to generate knowledge and evidence to support governments in overcoming the challenges and leveraging the opportunities presented in two main areas:
- The first is the design of appropriate and effective taxation of DFS and its providers, which can impact the development of these markets and financial inclusion.
- The second is harnessing the potential that the expansion of DFS and digital IDs presents, in terms of extensive new data, for the improvement of tax collection and administration.
This is an exciting opportunity to shape and lead on delivering the communications strategy for a cutting-edge research programme:
- Work with DIGITAX researchers to identify key messages and disseminate findings and policy recommendations
- Lead the development and delivery of the DIGITAX media strategy (including media monitoring, writing press releases and pitching, and responding to enquiries)
- Writing and editing material (including blogs, policy briefs, and news stories)
- Responsible for DIGITAX social media strategy (including posting across Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn).
- Produce multimedia content (contracting externally for creating videos, infographics, data visualisations, etc.)
- Help manage the publication of DIGITAX research papers and other outputs, and lead on dissemination and tracking of associated KPIs
- Organise DIGITAX events, both virtual and in-person
This is a full time one-year consultancy contract which may be extended.
The consultant can be based anywhere in the world, as this is a remote position. The focus of the work is international, and primarily in sub-Saharan Africa. Some travel can be expected, although not frequently.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com.
Person Specification: Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree
- Post-graduate degree, professional certification or equivalent professional experience in communications, journalism or other relevant subject
- Understanding of current thinking and practice in communications to achieve research and policy impact
- Knowledge and interest in international development issues, particularly in digital finance, financial inclusion, taxation and public policy
- Strong knowledge of the use and application of digital technologies in communications
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Proven knowledge in audience mapping and analytics to target and measure reach and impact
- Proven strategic planning skills, ability to create a vision and develop outputs to execute it
- Strong all-round communication skills, including verbal and written communication skills
- Editing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated experience using all major social media platforms
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues and partners at all levels of seniority and in cross cultural environments
- Ability to assimilate complex research or other material quickly
- Ability to identify and synthesise key findings and messages
- Professional fluency in English is essential. Knowledge of French or other African languages is desirable.
- At least 5 years' experience in communications including:
- Working in the international development, nonprofit, public policy or international research sectors
- Developing and delivering communication strategies
- Liaising with the media and handling press enquiries
- Creating a social media strategy as part of wider communications plan
- Supporting high-profile events
- Experience working in the African context, in a role relating to public policy and engaging with government officials is desirable
- A team player with energy, enthusiasm, flexibility and a pro-active approach to work
- A self-starter who can develop and execute ideas through their own initiative
- A creative and entrepreneurial thinker who can identify opportunities for communications and engagement activities
- Highly organised with the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines